Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Good Stuff..



I was reading this morning in a devotion "Devotions for Sacred Parenting" and came across this little burb from another book "Pensees" and thought I would share-

" Let each of us examine his thoughts; he will find them wholly concerned with the past and or the future. We almost never think of the present, and if we do think of it, it is only to see what light it throws on our plans for the future. The present is never our end. Thus we never actually live, but hope to live, and since we are always planning how to be happy, it is inevitable that we should never be so." 

Why is it that we get so wrapped up in the daily routine that we forget to truly LIVE.. I am not talking about breathing, walking, talking... I am talking about having a water fight in the kitchen and not worrying about how much of a mess it's going to make, letting the kids stay up a little later to finish putting together a puzzle. The small things. The things that get so easily over looked, because we are assuming there will be more time later.. Maybe that little excerpt spoke a little deeper because I am getting older? Or maybe I am finally grasping the idea that we don't know our future, and we should stop assuming we have some type of control over it. It's a waste of time and effort and creates resentment, frustration, and regret.. I don't want to be sitting in my house 20 years from now regretting all the moments I missed with my boys because I occupied my time with things that didn't really matter in the end. 

(remember to pause the music at the bottom of my page before playing)

No comments:

Post a Comment